Friday, January 21, 2011

i'm over you

"You're over me? When were you...under me?" - Ross to Rachel

One of several favorite quotes of mine from Friends. But I find it to be especially relevant in my particular situation. And no, we're not talking about my relationship with that tall blonde I run around town with. We're weirdly and shockingly still together and happier than ever. Mush mush. Blahhhh. Anyway, I'm talking about my relationship with this town I've called home for the past 4.5 years. And I can't blog blab about this without a disclaimer. The majority of the past 4.5 years have been nothing short of incredible. College was the best time of my life and anyone whose been to college knows that. However, I have this overwhelming feeling lately that I need to move on. Lexington...I've been under your spell for a long time but I'm officially over you. The past 8 months since graduation have been a clusterf**k and I have not wanted to leave this place. My life is here. My friends are here (mostly). My boyfriend is here. My parents are close. I like Lexington. I'm comfortable here. But after getting laid off and finding basically 0 entry-level jobs here and realizing that my friends and my boyfriend are probably all moving soon and my own fate is not to stay here for the rest of my life anyway...it's adios Lex town. I have to grow up, start fresh, be self-sufficient, take risks, and begin the next chapter of my life. I have to do it. So I'm going to enjoy my last few months (lease is up in July) in a place that I will always consider a second home...but then hopefully it's off to a new city and a new job. (granted, now that I say this I'll probably end up finding some random job in Lexington...this would be my life) This post-graduation period has been rough and stupid and challenging and just generally icky but I think that's the consesus from most recent grads...the first year after college is awkward and hard. But I have to say that I'm glad I went through all this hard, sad, challenging life stuff now. Because it's taught me to be positive and thankful all the time, no matter what, every day. Not that I'm ever going to be the eternal optimist...I'm not. I'm a very realistic/practical person. Duh. BUT, I've learned to be thankful for what/who I have in my life and to take every rejection or challenge or other crap with a sense of humor and move on. So...I'm currently taking applications for anyone who wants to move to a new city with me...? Any takers? My top choices are Nashville, Knoxville, Charlotte, and Atlanta. If all goes as planned and I can get a job in one of those places...I expect you ALL to visit and send me house-warming gifts. Once this requirement is met...I will pay you each back for all the ways you've spoiled me while I've been an unemployed loser. Now, stop reading my blog to your families. They probably think I'm a freak. You know who you areeeeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment